Monday, October 31, 2011

Gearing up for NaNo 2011

We're less than 11 hours -- on the east coast -- away from the beast known as NaNoWriMo 2011. Of course, I'll be taking part.

This year, I'm going a little bit out of my comfort zone of thrillers, sci-fi and fantasy for this year's tale. I'm writing a historical romance set in Boston's old Scollay Square during its waning years, mainly the 10-year period between 1953 and 1963. It's basically the story of a Boston Brahmin girl from a WASPish family who meets and falls in love with a West End boy... they fall out of love and don't see each other for eight years, right before the city of Boston begins the eminent domain process to take land for the new Government Center.

Government Center... yes, you've heard that before. I've written about Government Center before, mentioning it in two books. It held a great deal of the plot for Model Agent, and I mentioned it a few times in Turning Back The Clock. The line "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" in MA references the demise of Scollay Square in 1963.

I'm excited and nervous for this project. Like I said, I'm going outside of my comfort zone. I've read my outline, and it looks mighty vague, especially on the third page of three. I have plenty of reference material to go with. And of course, I'm thinking there's no way in Hell that I'll get 50,000 words out of this story.

Of course, I've said that before. I just need to relax and do what I do best, and that's write and create.

Midnight can't get here soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment